Friday, August 29, 2008

I miss you....

Wednesday, 27th August was the birth centenary of Sir Don Bradman. Mother Teressa was also born on the same day. It is, incidentally, also my grandfather's birthday. But, the only difference this year was that HE was not between us so that we could wish him. He left us alone forever on 29th December, 2007. He would have turned 79 this year. But it was not destined to be.

He was the reason to live for my granny. He was the north star for my dad. He was an advicer for my mom. And, moreover, he was the lighthouse for all of us; including me, my cousins and whoever got blessed by his company. He always talked to the point. He always talked with affection. He did everything with conviction. His smile made others feel assured. He got along well with everyone. He despised noone. He followed the "mind over matter" principle. His intelligence was exceptional. His memory never betrayed him. Punctuality so much flowed in his blood that one could set one's watch when he had his meals (11.30am and 7.30 pm), when he took his 2 cups of tea in a day (6.30am and 3pm) and when he slept (10pm). He never had the need to ask for a favour from anyone. Yet, everyone wished to be of some use to him. He had the magnetism. Yet, he was human. He proved it when he closed his eyes forever on that 29th afternoon.

For me, he was beyond describing in words. He was more than a friend to me. Not many are blessed with such a cool grandfather. I still remember those chess games we used to play. I remember all those cricket matches we saw together. I cherish all those times when we used to discuss politics. Having served on a high designation in public administrative department, he had vast knowledge and innumerable scoops to tell me from his years in his office. He always mediated whenever me and my dad had a skirmish, and often from my side. I appreciated the great love he felt for my granny. I still have his SMSs in my inbox asking me whether I had eaten something whenever I was out of the home for a long time. I remember his face getting all glowed up when I had told him that I would like to join the public services one day. He wanted to see me entering the public services like him one day. He inspired me. He encouraged me. He told me never to lose hope. He made me believe in myself, once again. But, I think, that only was what he had decided to do. By leaving my hand mid-way, he indicated to me that "some roads are better carved than followed". My tears that day promised him that one such road would be carved.

Today, he is physically not between us. But his thoughts, his acheivements, the dreams he imbibed in us regarding our future continue to live with us along with his fond, loving memories. I just want to tell you ajoba that I miss you.... I'm sure you must be happy and making others happy too wherever you are and whoever you are with!!! Long live your great soul!

1 comment:

Vidyut said...

Shrikant, you really made tears roll down our eyes. You gave words to our feelings. We all are very fortunate to be blessed by such a divine personality. He was a father figure for all of us. His thoughts, his blessings, his teachings will guide us and show us a correct path in the darkness of this materialistic world. Hats off to you.